Do you want to make a real world impact in the field of sustainability?
The UT Office of Sustainability operates one of the largest on-campus composting operations in the country. Composting diverts plant, animal, and food waste away from the landfill, and is a vital component of sustainability at the University of Tennessee.
The Compost Driver will be responsible for collecting food waste & other compostables at various campus locations and delivering them to the UT Compost Facility. They will be expected to collect food waste and other compostable materials, maintain the food waste collection truck, adhere to safe driving practices across campus, build positive relations with dining halls across campus, and keep proper records of collected data. Students will gain experience with commercial-scale composting and learn the benefits of diverting organic material from landfills.
Experience in an outdoor industrial/construction/landscaping environment is preferred, but not required! We are willing to train you if you're willing to learn.
Reliable transportation is required, UT Compost Facility is not on main campus.
- Safe operation and driving of the compost truck
- Maintain cleanliness of the food waste truck and assigned work areas
- Assist in compost, recycling, and other sustainability operations as needed
- Build positive relationships with the volunteer community and dining hall staff
- Participate in most zero-waste game day activities during the Fall semester on weekends
- Deliver compost materials to campus and community partners and interact with students at community schools
Schedule: Flexible, but needs to occur during regular work day hours. 10-20 hours available per week for the entirety of the academic school year, with availability for the driver to work 29.5 hours per week during the summer, if available. These hours will be Monday-Friday between 7am-5pm, but our department is also expected to work during most home football games and other events such as move-in that occur on weekends and are sometimes late at night.