Do you want to make a real world impact in the field of sustainability?
The UT Office of Sustainability operates one of the largest on-campus composting operations in the country. Composting diverts plant, agricultural and food waste away from the landfill, and is a vital component of sustainability at the University of Tennessee.
The Compost Operations Assistant 2 will be responsible for helping the Compost Supervisor maintain the daily operations of a two-acre Compost Facility. They will be expected to run and maintain heavy equipment, turn compost windrows, make compost deliveries as needed, and keep proper records of collected data. Students will gain experience with commercial-scale composting and learn the benefits of diverting organic material from landfills.
Experience in an outdoor industrial/construction/landscaping environment is preferred, but not required! We are willing to train you if you're willing to learn.
Reliable transportation is required, UT Compost Facility is not on main campus.
· Works to increase efficiency of compost operations and high quality output
· Maintains cleanliness of the compost site
· Takes temperatures of windrows and records them
· Operates heavy equipment to help cover, turn, screen, and load compost and maintain facility operations
· Assists in the delivery and collection of compost to and from locations on campus
· Help direct the Compost Operations Assistant 1 students to ensure safe operation and maintenance of equipment and the facility and ensure the finished product is of the highest quality.
· Help direct the compost drivers to collect and dump raw materials at the site and ensure compliance with safe driving practices.
Schedule: Flexible but needs to occur during regular work-day hours. 10-20 hours available per week for the entirety of the academic school year, with availability for the assistant to work 29.5 hours per week during the summer or other school breaks, if available. These hours will be Monday-Friday between 7am-5pm, but our department is also expected to work during most home football games or other events on weekends, sometimes late at night.